clickArgentina.com
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 22:17

All times are UTC - 3 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teaching English
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:16 

My fiancé and I are in the midst of planning a big South American holiday for next year and I've just stumbled across this Argentina forum so maybe someone out there with experience can help me out -

We're starting off in Ecuador next May then working our way down South through Peru, Bolivia and Chile then on to Argentina in September/October. We'll be travelling cheaply but will be in definite need of a top-up once we get to Argentina. The idea is to spend 3 or 4 months working in Buenos Aires (or anywhere else we can get work) then spending 1 month touring the country and heading up to Brazil where we'll fly back home in March.

I'm a geography teacher in London and my fiancé is a photographer. With my teaching experience I thought I should do a TESOL certificate and look for jobs teaching English when we're in Argentina. Will I be able to find a job ok? Where would be the best places to work? If you have any other tips or pointers then please let me know!

Thanks so much,
Sally

Post subject: Re: Teaching English
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 19:47 
user

sallyUK wrote:
...teaching English when we're in Argentina.

sallyUK wrote:
Will I be able to find a job ok?

Sally, don't get your hopes up :| -

There are plenty of foreigners in Buenos Aires that want to teach English while they're in the country since that's viewed as one of the easier jobs to do (if you don't speak great Spanish). To compound the problem, there are lots of good Argentinian English teachers - though they have an accent they do have the advantages of (i) knowing the system here, (ii) legally being able to work in Argentina and (iii) several years of traning in language teaching.

TESOL or the likes will help to set you apart from some of the others, as will your previous teaching experience but finding a job here can take quite some time - something you wont have by the sounds of it. I tried looking for a while but eventually gave up as most "regular" jobs were already taken.

English is in demand here though and pay rates for private lessons can be decent so foreigners that are living here for longer can probably build a client base for private lessons that would keep them going.

Good luck..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 19:42 

I went to an expat gathering the other day and there were several people there that are teaching English in Buenos Aires so it is definitely possible, though some of them mentioned that they were really just getting by (i.e. also using prior savings to help with their living costs.)

I think it depends a lot on how long you're going to be staying here (word-of-mouth helps over time), how confident you are about going out and making contacts and obviously how much experience you having in teaching languages.

Having an Argentinian work permit would definitely help since it would open up the possibility of working in language schools, though to work in a public secondary school you'd probably also need to have a teaching qualification and teaching experience aswell.

You never know until you try!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 18:57 

I lived in Argentina alomost 6 years and spent all the time teaching English. It takes time to build up a base. I worked for 4-5 institutes and also gave private lessons. I was able to make $2000-$2500 per month....No taxes taken.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 23:52 

Thanks for the info orange344. How long ago were you teaching English in Argentina?

Can you share any tips on how to go about finding private clients? Did you mostly meet them through your other jobs or did you put up notices/classifieds, etc.?