clickArgentina.com
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:30

All times are UTC - 3 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One week in Buenos Aires - what to do?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 14:56 

My company is sending me to Buenos Aires for a week in january. I expect I'll be very busy with work during the week but I plan to stay on for the weekend too before flying out on the sunday afternoon. What are the best things to check out that weekend?

Post subject: Re: One week in Buenos Aires - what to do?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 16:36 
Site Admin

Well one weekend in Buenos Aires doesn't give you much time...

Considering that your schedule is tight and money probably isn't an issue (company expense account during the week, right?), I suggest that you do one of the guided "city tours" - not just a walking tour but one that includes transport in a car or minibus. This will be the quickest way for you to see the top sites without any hassle.

It you want to do it on your own then it really depends on what things take your fancy - pretty much everything is possible in Buenos Aires. Let me know what interests you and I'll try to give you a more detailed reply.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:38 

Thanks foros - I'll bear that in mind about a guided tour. If I don't sort anything out beforehand then what do you suggest I see? I'll be busy during the week but could maybe manage a show or something on one night then explore the nightlife on friday night, with some sightseeing on saturday and sunday (flight leaves sunday afternoon).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 13:49 

Any ideas???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 22:08 
Site Admin

Sorry bill, I missed your earlier reply..

Doing a Tango show during the week is definitely recommended - though most of them are fairly touristy, in how many places in the world can you go and watch a tango performance in an historic tanguería?

Nightlife in Buenos Aires starts very late so if you do go out for drinks then don't count on doing much sightseeing the next day! If you don't want to be too late then try somewhere like the Kilkenny (open till late but there should still be a crowd early on), or if you want the full experience then try somewhere like the Palermo Hollywood area from midnight on. The taxi driver will know where to go.

Sightseeing in two days? Well there is loads to see so unless you take a guided bus tour you wont have much time to see anything more than a couple of key spots. I suggest you do a guided city tour but if you want to go it alone then try this:

Get a taxi out to Caminito in La Boca on the saturday (about half an hour from the city centre but only 20-30 pesos), wander around the streets there (stick to the main area to keep safe) and have lunch at one of the outdoor cafés where you'll probably get the chance to watch - or even dance - some tango.

Afterwards, get a taxi back into the city centre and have them drop you off at Plaza de Mayo where you can see Argentina's government building, La Casa Rosada. From there go to the northwestern corner of the plaza and continue out one block until you get to the street Florida. Keep walking north along this street for many blocks and be careful with your valuables as it can get very crowded. You'll see opportunities to purchase some Argentinian souvenirs and things like leather jackets as you get towards the end of the street. At the end, cross over the street to the Plaza San Martín which is a nice park and the resting grounds of the memorial to those who died in the Malvinas war against the British.

Later, get a taxi to Cementerio Recoleta (or walk another 40 minutes northwest of the plaza if you're keen). Spend an hour at the cemetery which is pretty impressive as cemeteries go, and be sure to check our Evita's resting place. Afterwards browse the nearby outdoor market and you'll be about ready for a coffee or a beer at one of the numerous cafés in the area. Relax around here until later then enjoy a good Argentinian steak at one of the parilla restaurants. There are also plenty of bars in the area if you want to stay out late.

Depending on how much time you have on Sunday, maybe visit one of the fine museums (especially recommended is the Museo de Bellas Artes) and then go to a "mate" bar (such as the Peña del Colorado) where you can sample Argentina's popular yerba-mate - a drink which is something like tea but consumed out of a "mate" with a metal straw. You can hang out here until its time for a taxi to the airport (leave around four hours before your flight.)

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 23:59 

Excellent post foros! Thanks for the help. Are there any specific city tours you recommend? Anyway, maybe I'll "go it alone" and follow your guide. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 20:50 

Hey excellent post! I was thinking about doing a city tour but your "do-it-yourself" guide sounds great. Still, if you know of any good tours then I'd like to know. I'm here in BA now for a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 13:50 
Site Admin

Bill and fatman -
I haven't done a guided Buenos Aires city tour myself so can't recommend any to you from experience. I'll post back here in the future if/when I come across one that I can genuinely recommend.