clickArgentina.com
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:56

All times are UTC - 3 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tango's Comeback
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 01:07 

Here's an article on Reuters I came across today, Argentina sees comeback of tango, for tourists.

Quote:
Tango impresario Juan Fabbri can't get a table at the 500-seat dinner theater he runs. That's because Esquina Carlos Gardel in Buenos Aires is packed with tourists every night.

I'm sure this is of no surprise for any of you that have visited Buenos Aires! Going to a tango show is an essential part of any tourist's visit to the city.

Quote:
Few locals shell out for tourist-oriented tango spectacles, but a new generation of Argentines has embraced the quintessentially national dance, attending a growing number of dance schools and tango dance halls, known as milongas.

The "tango shows" are for tourists but the "milongas" are for real tango enthusiasts. If you're here for only a few days then definitely go along to a tango show - I'm sure you wont be let down. But if you're here for a month or more, then why not do a tango course and head along to some milongas for a more authentic experience?

If you're someone who's done both, then let us know how the experiences compare! Which is your favourite tango show? Which milongas are best suited for the amatuer tanguero?