clickArgentina.com
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 06:02

All times are UTC - 3 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying and selling property
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 15:33 

Are foreigners able to buy and sell property in Argentina without any restrictions? And what about tax on sales? I saw on the net that there are no capital gains but somewhere else I read that there is a 35% capital gains tax? What should I believe?

Post subject: Re: Buying and selling property
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 18:35 

As far as I'm aware, foreigners can buy and sell property, both as individuals and as corporate entities.

There is a 35% tax on capital gains if the property was held by a business or if it was used to rent out to other people but if it was purchased by an individual and used by that individual (i.e. not rented for profit) then I'm told that the gains would be tax free.

As a cautionary note, property transactions in Argentina have commonly been undervalued on the sales papers in order to reduce the amount of property taxes and rates that are due. This could have dramatic implications on capital gains if the practice is cleaned up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 13:41 

To answer the restrictions part, if you buy east of Ruta 40, mas o menos, it is very easy. To the west, along the Chilean border, you need to get "Zona Seguridad" clearance. It is doable, but it requires some more obstacles. But as we like to say, "vale la pena".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 16:47 

Thanks for the input soulskier. I didn't realise that a Zona Seguridad clearance was required out west. Is that just a requirement for people without DNI's, or are Argentinians and permanent residents also subject to the restrictions? (only those from other provinces?)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 19:05 

Do you read Spanish ??? If not, ask me and i will make the traduction !!!Here are the taxes details for buying and selling property in Argentina.

Best regards

Gerald Desmons
Alpha Project Patagonia

Impuestos a pagar al comprar una propiedad en la ciudad de Buenos Aires

21,0%
IVA sobre comisión del broker (comisión del 3 al 4 % del valor de la propiedad)

21,0%
IVA sobre edificios a estrenar (incluidos en valor compra)

2,5%
Impuesto al sello (Ciudad de Bs. As). Valores mayores a US$115.000

4,0%
Impuesto al sello (Gran Bs. As. - Incluido San Isidro y Olivos)

Impuestos a pagar si el extranjero vive en la propiedad que compro en la Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Si es residente (más de 180 días por año calendario)

9 - 35 %
Impuestos a las Ganancias (dependiendo del ingreso anual)

0,5 - 0,75 %
Impuesto de bienes personales (hasta US$ 63.000 / mayor US$ 63.000)

$ cientos
ABL (Alumbrado, barrido y limpieza)

* Si una persona extranjera es no residente y alquila la propiedad, se deberá pagar un impuesto presuntivo del 1 % de los activos en Argentina anualmente. Además hay un impuesto local para alumbrado, barrido y limpieza, (ABL). Este es solo un impuesto de solo unos cientos de pesos por año, y si la propiedad ha sido alquilada, se especifica que el locador deberá hacerse cargo del mismo.

Impuestos a pagar si una persona extrajera compra una propiedad y la alquila

Si es residente (más de 180 días por año calendario)

9 - 35 %
Impuestos a las Ganancias (dependiendo del ingreso anual)

0,5 - 0,75 %
Impuesto de bienes personales (hasta US$ 63.000 / mayor US$ 63.000)

quota dependiendo de la municipalidad
ABL (Alumbrado, barrido y limpieza)

El propietario extranjero podrá afrontar problemas con las autoridades impositivas al momento de vender la propiedad si no se ha abonado al momento el mencionado impuesto.

Impuestos a pagar por una persona extranjera si esta vende su propiedad en la Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Antes de proceder a la venta del bien, el propietario deberá recibir de la AFIP un certificado que compruebe que al momento de la venta no existen impuestos adeudados. Dicho cerificado debe ser entregado al escribano para autorizar la venta.
Un impuesto a la transferencia del inmueble del 1.5 % es aplicable al vendedor.
No obstante, este impuesto no se aplica a una persona residente que vende su residencia principal si esta se compromete a adquirir otra en los 12 meses siguientes.
Si una persona extranjera no vivió en su propiedad y esta estuvo vacía, se debe demostrar a las autoridades fiscales que el bien no fue alquilado. Para esto, hay que demostrarlo a las autoridades (generalmente mostrando facturas de servicios –electricidad o gas cuyos consumos deberían lógicamente ser menores o inexistentes).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 16:06 

Thanks geralddesmons.

I think it should be pretty clear for most people - but of course feel free to ask if you'd like the previous post translated.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 16:08 

geralddesmons, do you know anything about buying property outside of Buenos Aires? I.e. is the Zona Seguridad required for foreigners with permanent residence?
inArg wrote:
I didn't realise that a Zona Seguridad clearance was required out west. Is that just a requirement for people without DNI's, or are Argentinians and permanent residents also subject to the restrictions? (only those from other provinces?)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 19:14 

A mexican friend with 10 years residency in Argentina is buying some property in Missiones, close to the Border with Brazil, so within the security zone, and she still has to follow the extended process as a foreigner, but as you may know the argentines Lawyers always find a solution !!!! 2nd point, by purchasing a property under the name of an argentine company within the security zone, you need an argentine partner with more than 51% of the shares....

Gerald Desmons
Alpha Project Patagonia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 19:31 

Quote:
she still has to follow the extended process as a foreigner

Quote:
by purchasing a property under the name of an argentine company within the security zone, you need an argentine partner with more than 51% of the shares

Interesting.

I wonder what happens if a company 51% owned by Argentinians purchases property within the security zone then later sell shares to lower their ownership level in the company...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:58 

Zona Seguridad is for anyone that is not an Argentine. We wrote a big description about it here, http://livinginpatagonia.com/?p=39.
Feel free to email me if you have further questions. Suerte!