clickArgentina.com
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 21:04

All times are UTC - 3 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Is there any way to get a DNI while living abroad?"
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 15:03 

Here's a question posted by marriedtoargentine on our article about How to get an Argentinian DNI:
Quote:
Is there any way possible to get a DNI while you are still living in the US? I have a wife and kids in Argentina and it would really help to get the DNI before I went back so I can work there.

Post subject: Re: "Is there any way to get a DNI while living abroad?"
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 16:00 

It seems that Argentinians can get their DNI's renewed by visiting the Argentina Embassy in Washington D.C.

It doesn't look like foreigners can apply for a DNI from outside of Argentina, however they can start the residency process from at the Argentina Embassy in their country of residence.

A related thread that may be interesting is this one on getting permanent residency in Argentina.

If anyone has had any experience in doing this, then please reply to this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 16:14 

Hello! I am a Filipina married to an Argentine. I think there's no way that you can apply for a DNI while outside Argentina.
You can check http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/renaper/extranjeros.asp
for some information..
But you can start the application and no need to be inside Argentina while waiting for your DNI.
Do you have your permanent residency already? If yes then just bring the required docs for DNI application and you can do it in Buenos Aires easily (assuming that you'll have/present the right docs)
If you don't have the permanent residency permit yet then you can get it in the argentine embassy of your residence country then from there they can prepare the "sobre consular" which you'll have to present in Argentina once you enter. The good thing is that once you got the receipt that you already processed your DNI..they might accept that as an assurance or to represent your DNI..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 20:05 

Thanks for your message darlenegirala.

darlenegirala wrote:
...no need to be inside Argentina while waiting for your DNI...

That's true but I'd like to add a couple of points:

- If you leave the country while waiting for your DNI then make sure you take these things with you (plus copies): your residence permit and/or the piece of paper stating that you have applied for a DNI. Without these you may be hassled when coming back into the country.

- You're usually given an approximate date for when your DNI will be ready (e.g. in 3-4 months time). Aim to be back in Argentina to collect it during that time because otherwise they'll file it somewhere and you'll have to wait longer when you go to collect it - and if 6 months pass without collecting your DNI then it will probably be destroyed meaning that you'll have to start the process all over again!